Saturday, September 26, 2009

LOCAL VARIATIONS - small town timeless poems - little poems

In 1958, my small town started a Little League. Four teams; one each from the very different parts of town. The farm boys from Kenwood, the farm boys from Collinsville, the Public Servants from Dracut Center,  and the tough Irish kids from the Navy Yard. Feuds were started in that long ago summer that last 'till today. (I'm truly sorry Tom Molton)


The adult volunteers worked long nights after work, whipping fields into shape so their sons could experience the combat of hardball without the pleasures of cow pies and random rocks placed Murphy like, in just the right karmic position.


Little did we know, we were to be a small part of a larger saga. A story that continues today on the same, vastly improved ball fields. But in 1958, the men ran out of money and in Hovey Square Park, local ground rules had to be established. There was no fence in left field.







Local Variations




Louisville Slugger War Club
held
Ground Rule Birch Tree
double-
no fence-
all you can get
to the left
-in the puddles
      tadpoles relentless.




Beaver brook
falls dam
tops worn Kids Ked
smooth-
How many horn-pout
pulled-
breathless.


Soft sighing of
the wind blow
south from the mountains
flow over
pushing
to
the Merrimack River
towns built
on sites
indian war whoops
chasing Mohawk away
        behind Bob Garipy’s
        Auto Parts Store 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found you over at Hughes' blog, had to check out your work.

I love your rhythm--the cadence in this poem. There is something of the blues in it, I think--and it sounds authentic.

Besides--it takes me back to playing little league growing up in a little redneck town out in the middle of blessed nowhere. Some of the best days of my life thus far, now nearly 20 years gone.

I'll try to drop back by when I have a little more time to read.

Reverend Lowell said...

Thanks - Yep I was hoping to stir up memories with this. I think of American boys, out there on the fields, coast to coast, learning how to grow up. And it's all the same rules! My team could've played yours; no problem. Oh, except for left field - we got no fence!

Susan Berlien said...

I was worried your "secret blog" might really be secret. Glad I can read too. Thank you! Great Poem.

Reverend Lowell said...

You are welcome. At my age, I have no secrets!

You may enjoy "All the Bright Mornings", although it is done using Projective Verse, and sits on the page differently.