Tuesday, June 16, 2009

HOW POEMS FAIL

Some years ago, Ford Motor company stopped shipping new cars destined for New England by railroad. There was a huge train yard across the Merrimac River, just over the Lowell city line in Billerica, Mass. (home of Future Hall of Famer, Tom Glavine. One night, unable to sleep, I heard the sound of a single switching locomotive,  moving box cars around and forming up trains of empty car carriers. I could hear the sharp bang every time the engineer would add a car to the tree. All the windows in my house were open on a warm spring night.
       My dad was a Boston & Maine employee who worked around the yards, doing maintenence. He spoke to me once of how he would occasionally get lonely and a bit melancholy being out there at night. He explained how he would miss his wife and two small sons, but  he knew he needed to be out there making money.
      I remembered that conversation some 30 years later and I tried to imagine the loneliness felt by the men who work away from their families, often alone and isolated.

Open Windows in the Spring


                                                                  May 15, '00
                                                                  3:37 am
                                                                   sleep - my eye


The 
lonesome cold
sound of
a switcher
banging empty
boxcars
in the dead
of night-

oh sight

in the distance

folded back
is


my father walking
home with midnite
empty
lunch bucket.

-cold swept
 iron tracks
 leading
 away
 one

way.
                                    my eye
                                    empty now. 

...............................................................................

The poem is not universal enough. 
No one else can see my dad.
Since my dad died young, my seeing
him disappearing  down the tracks, uncommunicative;
I've made him up; but haven't 
felt his pain or explained his loneliness.
I got no further than conjuring up a vision
of him that is sterile. No dirt, sweat  or grime.
No slack muscles.  No exhaustion. He's a ghost;
and the poem is not that interesting.

No comments: